Saturday 31 December 2016

The Magical Moment

Afed

It's less than two hours away from midnight. Another whole year gone. A bustle of activities around,  a heap of whatsapp texts, meeting plans and phone calls...while all I want at the moment is to be on my own. That's what it does to you, the new year eve, a tinge of melancholy in your nostalgia as a recap of the gone year plays in your mind.


The last time I was here, there were decorations and cakes and crackers. There were people in plenty around; laughter and togetherness. Nothing seemed amiss as we started our countdown. Ten ... nine ... eight ... the whole colony gathered up, the neighbor's little girl being lifted high by the uncles...seven...six...five ... the kids readying themselves to attack the cake ...four...three...the crackers beginning to burst ... two ... one ... and before I could get involved in the oncoming mess, my phone rings.

"Happiiee New Year!!" My bestie screamed from the other end, and suddenly all I wanted was some calm in the chaos. I wished she was there with me right then, along with some others who I missed. There I was on phone, far from the madding crowd of celebration. It made me wonder, who would I rather be with?

Strangely enough, her call had reminded me of the previous new year eve, an entirely different scenario (and not so good one at that) and how far I'd gotten since then. The metamorphosis of a year lay bare before me as she spoke. Now here I am hidden away from the hostellers, waiting for that magical new year feeling to show up. And I'm still waiting.

What's the ideal way to spend this day? With friends in a dinner party clinking champagne bottles? With family cutting a small cake from the dining table? With your laptop screen of a countdown clock and a dozen people to chat with? Or perhaps just a solitary space for yourself to reflect on as you listen to the world celebrate. And feel the magic.

Another day of much pomp and fun awaits. The new year resolutions, the selfies, the status updates, and what not. Before we fall back to another year of broken resolutions, engaging days and the normalcy, let's just pause here for a moment, and be.

The vibe is around you if it's within you.

Happy new year folks. Maybe call that friend of yours. It's a magical moment. :)

***


No comments:

Post a Comment